Our Plant Engineers assess food processing equipment, building maintenance, refrigeration systems, food safety processes, and water and wastewater treatment. They do this while working to ensure that the condition of the buildings, equipment, and systems are maintained to Publix's high standards. The Plant Engineers also create maintenance, refrigeration, wastewater, and capital project budgets and work to manage operations within those budgets. Furthermore, they ensure associates have exemplary response rates and service levels for industrial maintenance functions in the plant. They do this by coaching, mentoring and providing other assistance in the professional development of our industrial maintenance associates.
Another important aspect of the Plant Engineer role is to ensure adherence to the Process Safety Management (PSM) program and the Risk Management Plan (RMP) for our ammonia refrigeration systems. With regards to the wastewater pretreatment plant operation, the Plant Engineers ensure that all local, state, and federal regulations are met. By staying on top of the latest technology and manufacturing practices, the Plant Engineers also help to maintain the manufacturing plant as a leader in the industry. Plant Engineers carry out the direction and performance of maintenance operations in order to achieve planned objectives and goals. They also collaborate best practices with other Publix manufacturing facilities and departments.
Qualifications we look for
- Bachelors Degree in an engineering discipline or vocational/trade school
- Class III Wastewater Treatment license or equivalent
- Experience in manufacturing maintenance management in a food manufacturing plant
- Experience in refrigeration and utilities management
- Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), such as work order and preventive maintenance generation, parts procurement, systems and procedures
- Technical and supervisory experience in electrical, electronic, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, instrumentations, automation, and computer fields
- Knowledge of ammonia and Freon refrigeration systems
- Knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLC) and computer automation theories (software and hardware)
- Ability to read, develop, and change schematic diagrams, equipment and architectural drawings
- Ability to modify the layout of an equipment area to enhance its efficiency or accommodate new equipment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive information
- Ability to exhibit poise and professionalism in stressful situations
- Ability to obtain Refrigeration Engineers Technician Association (RETA) certification
- Possess computer skills, demonstrating proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Ability to manage projects and negotiate effectively with outside contractors and vendors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Obvious enthusiasm, initiative, and pride in work
How to apply
For Industrial Maintenance positions, please go to the Publix Jobs Center to see our current openings. Click "YES" or "NO" to the question, "Are you an active Publix associate?" Then narrow your search by choosing Industrial Maintenance, Manufacturing, or Distribution within the Functional Area selection box.
When you apply, your information will be sent directly to the appropriate hiring manager. If your skills and experience seem to match the qualifications of the position that interests you, you will be contacted for an interview and possibly for testing customized to that position.
If you have any questions about our application process, please call our Employment Office in
- Lakeland at (863) 688-7407, ext. 32504 or
- Atlanta at (770) 995-0073, ext. 2153.