As we celebrate our 90th anniversary, we also reflect on our journey as a company: how we’ve grown over the years, the wonderful moments along the way and how Mr. George’s values remain an integral part of the Publix culture.
Mr. George believed if you take care of your associates, they’d take care of the customers and the rest would take care of itself. He believed the associates who worked in the company should also be owners. That is part of what makes working at Publix so unique.
For 90 years, Publix has developed an enduring culture that
- offers company ownership. We’re privately owned, so our common stock is not publicly traded on a stock exchange and does not have a "ticker" symbol. The opportunity to purchase Publix stock is a unique benefit for our associates and board of directors, and it helps perpetuate the Publix culture.
- provides opportunities to give back. We’re committed to alleviating hunger through monetary donations and hunger-focused initiatives. Publix also participates in annual campaigns like the Special Olympics, March of Dimes and Children’s Miracle Network. We also have designated Publix Serves Days, when Publix associates volunteer in their local communities.
- innovates with consumer trends and technology shifts.
- The departments we built over the years were based on evolving consumer trends and our commitment to service. The Danish Bakery was introduced in 1950; the deli was introduced in 1969; and the pharmacy was introduced in 1986.
- Our payment options have continued to evolve with contactless pay through our Publix app, Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Customers can order online for in-store pickup, delivery* or curbside pickup* in select stores. (*These services powered by Instacart.)
- encourages close ties among associates, customers, suppliers and the community. Publix is a family at the heart of it all. By working together every day, friendships, family relationships and even marriages have been fostered at Publix.
- embraces our history as a source of pride. We take pride in all things Publix — from the history behind our “Where Shopping is a Pleasure” slogan to the evolution of our store architecture from its original art deco design to the introduction of our mascot, Plato the Publixaurus!
We look forward to at least 90 more years with our founder’s words in mind. “I truly believe the future holds before us such fantastic opportunities it is almost beyond belief.”
Thank you for 90 years of allowing us the privilege of providing you with premier service every day!