Our culture of giving provides hope to families in our communities during hurricane season and beyond. We are proud to serve you.
When a major hurricane threatens, every part of our company mobilizes, including behind-the-scenes associates who put in efforts you might not even think about:
- Emergency response team (ERT). The ERT is responsible for planning and coordinating assistance to keep our company working as efficiently as possible before and after a storm. The ERT makes sure every department has the most up-to-date information to share with our support facilities, stores and customers, such as store hours.
- Corporate purchasing and supply chain planning teams. These teams manage a complex supply chain that makes sure essential items are available in stores before and after a storm. This entails buying products in advance and positioning them in locations where we can transport them safely at every phase of a storm. Prior to a storm, this team prepares for a surge in demand for all products, and afterward the team provides essential items such as water, ice and batteries to areas in the most need.
- Customer care and social media team. This team is responsible for distributing information and interacting with you on our social media platforms, through email and by phone about a variety of storm-related topics.
- Information systems (I/S) team. Our I/S team supports many departments’ efforts before and after a storm. Before a storm, several team members monitor systems. Afterward, I/S associates provide support to stores by quickly restoring lost network connections.
- Corporate communications and human resources teams. The corporate communications team emails information that impacts the stores’ ability to provide premier service. This team also operates our internal emergency phone line, which communicates to our associates such things as changes to store hours. The human resources team monitors calls from associates before and after a storm, working to connect associates affected by the storm to community resources and agencies that can help support them.
- Loss prevention and safety team. As a storm approaches, this team opens up the lines of communication with local and state emergency operations teams. During a storm, the loss prevention and safety team provides Publix leadership with minute-by-minute updates on critical data, such as road closures, power losses, damage reports and curfews. After the storm, the team helps get authorization for associates to travel to and from work through roadblocks and curfews.
- Facilities team and solid waste and recycling team. The solid waste and recycling team ensures stores are clear of waste by having garbage and recycling picked up from as many stores as possible before a storm hits. Afterward, these associates work diligently to have cardboard and waste removed as stores restock and reopen. Once a storm has passed, facility services associates immediately go into the field to inspect any damage to our stores and arrange fuel deliveries for our generators. Team members provide their leadership with a live, real-time map of store statuses.
Our service and dedication to our communities extends beyond the aisles. During hurricane season, Publix associates go above and beyond to assist you and their fellow associates.
Publix isn’t just a place to buy groceries, but a beacon of hope to our Publix family — our associates, our customers and the communities we serve.