Legal & Risk Management
Our Company's Guardians
Keeping a watchful eye on every aspect of our operations, these teams ensure Publix is always protected.
The Company Guardians
Two departments are devoted to helping Publix comply with all laws, protect its assets, and minimize risk. They are the Corporate Legal department and the Risk Management department.
The mission of the Corporate Legal department is to provide timely and cost effective legal services of the highest caliber to further Publix's mission of being the premier quality food retailer in the world. To further this mission, Corporate Legal commits to:
- understand Publix's business and legal needs
- provide proactive legal services in an effort to minimize legal liability
- manage legal functions as requested by the Publix Board of Directors, Chief Executive Officer, and Senior Management and
- ensure continual improvement in the delivery and management of legal services.
Corporate Legal provides a wide variety of legal services within Publix. These involve reactive legal services, such as responding to a specific legal matter, as well as proactive legal services such as developing compliance programs, policies, and guidelines. The Corporate Legal department also provides legal services in a variety of subject areas such as: real estate, contracts, food safety, pharmacy, environmental, occupational health and safety, e-commerce, energy, tax, trademarks, litigation management, and regulatory compliance.
These are some of the positions in our Corporate Legal department.
- Contracts Administrator
- General Counsel
- Legal Assistant
- Senior Attorney
- Staff Attorney
The Risk Management department is much more than the insurance department at Publix. The more than 120 associates in Risk Management are dedicated to protecting and preserving Publix's assets, particularly its associates and customers, through responsive claims management and risk funding techniques. This diverse mission means that Risk Management associates deal with all aspects of associate and customer claims, and insurance for Publix.
Our Team Structure
Risk Management is comprised of two teams, each with unique but interrelated duties. These teams include: Workers' Compensation Claims Management and General Liability.
The Workers' Compensation Claims Management team provides timely, accurate, and appropriate administration of claims involving injuries arising from employment, including the self-administration of most worker's compensation claims in Florida. This team helps to:
- investigate, evaluate and negotiate workers' compensation claims
- coordinate and authorize medical care
- evaluate and pay medical and other workers' compensation related bills and
- facilitate injured associates' return to work.
The General Liability team administers customer incidents and claims, as well as coordinates vendor insurance information.
Risk Management also:
- analyzes and procures insurance coverage
- oversees and provides support necessary in litigation against Publix and
- advises management on litigation related issues.
Positions in Risk Management include the following.
- Administrative and Support Clerk
- Bill Review Analyst
- Data Entry
- General Liability Analyst
- General Liability Legal Assistant
- Medical Case Administrator
- Occupational Health Analyst
- Occupational Health Specialist
- Workers' Compensation Adjuster
- Workers' Compensation Analyst
- Workers' Compensation Claims Support Assistant
How to Apply
Please go to the Publix Jobs Center to see our current openings. Click "YES" or "NO" to the question, "Are you an active Publix associate?" Then narrow your search by choosing Legal and Risk Management within the Functional Area selection box.
When you apply, your information will be sent directly to the appropriate hiring manager. If your skills and experience seem to match the qualifications of the position that interests you, you will be contacted for an interview and possibly for testing customized to that position.
If you have any questions about our application process, please call our Employment Office in
- Lakeland at (863) 688-7407, ext. 32504 or
- Atlanta at (770) 995-0073, ext. 2153.