We have more than 2,300 Cake Decorators in our stores across Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. They are devoted to providing the best customer service and the highest product quality possible. Without our Cake Decorators, our stores wouldn't be the caliber of supermarket our customers have come to expect. This means decorating bakery products for sale according to company policy and customer preferences.
We continually have openings for Cake Decorators, both for those who want to work full-time and for those who would prefer a part-time schedule. The pay range for Cake Decorators varies by region but is generally $9.75 an hour to $15.25 an hour for full-time associates and $8.50 an hour to $13.25 an hour for part-time associates.
- Starting pay rates depend on a Cake Decorator's knowledge and previous experience. Future pay increases are based on performance.
- Eligible Cake Decorators also earn quarterly bonuses based on their store's performance. Eligibility is based on hours worked.
- In addition, they earn a year-end bonus paid in December in appreciation for their work during the year. For full-time Cake Decorators, the bonus in the first year and second year is usually equal to one week's pay if the associate remains employed through Dec. 31. In subsequent years, the bonus is usually equal to two weeks' pay. For part-time Cake Decorators, the bonus is equal to four hours of pay when an associate joins Publix prior to July 1. There is no bonus in the first year for associates hired after July 1. In subsequent years, the bonus is equal to eight hours' pay if the associate remains employed through Dec. 31.
See the list of the main reasons why Publix is a great place to work.
Visit the Benefits page for a full list of benefits offered to Publix associates.
A Cake Decorator's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing premier customer service
- Icing, decorating, packaging, labeling, and pricing products for island refrigerated cases
- Icing, decorating, tray, and maintaining ZR freezer and refrigerated showcase
- Filling customer special orders, including wedding cakes
- Operating the Bakery department mixer
- Following Publix's guidelines for Cake Decorators
- Maintaining Publix's high standards for product freshness and sanitation
- Organizing and rotating stock in the Decorator's freezer
- Training other associates as needed
- Assisting with the delivery and set up of wedding cakes as needed
- Assisting in other duties as assigned
Required: The required qualifications are as follows:
- 18 years of age or older
- previous cake-decorating experience
- able and willing to read, write and perform simple math problems
- able and willing to deliver friendly, courteous, prompt customer service
- able and willing to interpret, understand and follow instructions and solve problems
- able and willing to work well with others as a team member
Preferred: We prefer to hire individuals who have a passion for people, in other words those who greatly enjoy serving others. Previous experience at Publix is also a plus.
A Cake Decorator's duties are performed primarily in the Bakery department. A Decorator may be exposed to various temperature changes and work environments. Work includes walking, standing, bending, lifting and carrying products weighing up to 60 pounds. Duties also include repetitive arm and hand movements and hand-squeezing for at least 85 percent of the work day.
For more information about this position, send an email to one of our recruiters.
How to apply
By Email: Please email us at email@example.com and provide an overview on your previous experience, skills, availability, and locations you're interested in. If there are openings available, a Retail Staffing Specialist will contact you and direct you to go to a Job Application Center, located in each of our stores. You should let the Retail Staffing Specialist know once you've applied so he or she can notify the Store Manager that your information is available. You'll be called for an interview if you appear to be qualified for the position.
In Person: If you're visiting a store where you'd like to work, please ask the Bakery Manager if there are openings available. If so, you'll need to apply at the Job Application Center in the store, an automated kiosk that the Bakery Manager can direct you to. (If the Bakery Manager isn't available, ask for the Store Manager of Assistant Store Manager.) If there are no openings in that store and you'd be interested in working at another store, you still should apply at the Job Application Center in the store where you first go. Managers at other stores will see your application and call you if they have openings, if you're qualified, and if your hours of availability match their needs. You might also ask the Bakery Manager at that store if he or she knows of openings at nearby stores.